Hot gas testing in component test benches
CALSIM – Experts in hot gas testing
Excellent services in hot gas testing combined with innovative technology and state-of-the-art equipment – this is the ATESTEO division CALSIM. Thermal tests of for example complete exhaust systems and elements such as catalytic converters, exhaust heat exchangers, gaskets, silencers, suspensions, pipe elements etc. are carried out on seven fully automated hot gas test benches.
Hot gas test center – Experts in hot gas testing
For thermal testing of components or complete exhaust systems, ATESTEO division Calsim offers seven fully automated hot gas test benches. The modular design of these component test benches is suitable for conducting endurance tests and for high complex test requirements. For testing exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) coolers, controlled cooling circuits are installed. In addition, a Clausius-Rankine-cycle for testing waste heat recovery (WHR) components may be added. The working fluids may be demineralised water, ethanol, or special fluids; for example, cyclopentane or acetone.
All test benches are designed such that the performance range of a passenger car to that of a commercial vehicle is covered
- 800 kW heating capacity
- 1.300°C hot gas temperature
- 4,000 kg/h Hot gas mass flow rate
- 5 bar(rel) hot gas pressure
Processing of orders
After receipt of the specimens, the hot gas test bench is set up ready for operation in close cooperation with the contractor. Subsequent to the successful start-up, an exemplary cycle is measured, the customer releases the start and the test run is started. Supervision of tests is guaranteed 24 hours a day by ATESTEO. During the entire duration of the test, the relevant data are transmitted in the form of updates on weekdays.
Our services in hot gas testing
- Thermo cycle test
- Thermal shock test
- Increased thermal shock test
- Production control
- Overtemperature loading
- Time-lapse function (accelerated testing)
- Boiling test
- Tension measurement using strain gauges
- Efficiency measurement
- Pressure pulsation test (positive and negative)
- Testing of waste heat recovery [WHR] components
Technical data of the hot gas test benches
- Burner capacity 20 to 800 kW
- Mass flow hot gas 40 to 4,000 kg/h
- Temperature hot gas 250 to 1.300°C
- Pressure hot gas up to 5 bar (rel)
- Mass flow of coolant up to 15 kg/s
- Fuel Natural gas, propane, diesel, heating oil EL
- Operation 24/7
More information about our hot gas tests and hot gas generators can be found in our current performance brochure.
Turn-key hot gas test benches
for your component testing
The PLC-controlled hot gas generator F1 produces hot gas for technical test purposes. In particular, the thermal testing of components in the vehicle exhaust system can be conducted in a time- and energy-saving way. The modular set-up enables conducting not only endurance and durability tests, but also turbocharger tests.
Working principle of the hot gas generator
Hot gas is generated by burning a fuel-air mixture. Natural gas, propane, diesel, or heating oil EL may be used as the fuel. The desired hot gas temperature is controlled by adjusting the burner power and mixing in cold air.
Technical data of the burner
|Height of hot gas outlet||911 mm||By arrangement|
|Burner power||10 to 500 kW||up to 1.300 ° C|
|Temperature||>200 K/s||> 200 K/s|
|Mass flow||50 to 1.500 kg/h||up to 4.000 kg/h|
|Hot gas pressure||up to 8 bar(rel)||up to 8 bar(rel)|
|Fuel consumption||approx. 1 m3 (STP) natural gas/10 kWh||approx. 0.4 m3 (STP) propane/10 kWh,
approx. 1 l heating oil EL/10 kWh
|Dimensions (LxWxH)||approx. 2,031 mm x 808 mm x 1,274 mm||Special setups possible|
- Computer-aided test bench automation system and data acquisition
- Gas mass flow measurement and control
- Thermal shock operation
- Interface to connect to superior automation systems via CAN, Profibus, and Modbus TCP. Further interfaces on request.
- Installation of an air compressor or a natural gas compressor in cooperation with renowned partners is possible
Send us your request for your individual hot gas test bench now. Or send us a message if you have any questions about hot gas testing at ATESTEO. Our CALSIM experts look forward to your enquiry.